Friday, April 17, 2015

Cleaner Brownie Recipe

I always love to make brownies. It was something I sued to make for the girls about once a month as a special treat. My favorite recipe was from Hershey's. This recipe used a stick of butter and a cup of sugar. I decided that there had to be a better way to make these.
 So the first thing I wanted to replace was the butter. I recently bought some coconut oil from Sams Club. I decided that chocolate and coconut go well together. Instead of 1/2 cup of butter I swapped out 1/2 cup of coconut oil.

Then I wanted to substitute something for the sugar. I decided to use honey. I used 3/4 cup of honey instead of 1 cup of sugar.

Finally I substituted whole wheat flour for regular flour and omitted the baking powder and salt all together.

Here is the final recipe:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey's special dark)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place coconut oil in a small sauce pan and melt over low to medium heat until it is a liquid.
3. Mix oil, honey and vanilla
4. Cool a little and then add eggs. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Add cocoa powder and whole wheat flour and stir until well blended.
6. Spray an 8x8 glass baking dish
7. Pour batter into the baking dish
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

The kids absolutely loved these. I served them at a play date meeting yesterday morning and everyone loved them. I then made a second batch for A's preschool snack tomorrow.

If you are on the 21 Day Fix this would count for one of your treat yellows. You'd cut the pan into 9 pieces and one would be a yellow. They are so yummy and worth it to me as a treat.

I hope you enjoy these as much as my family did.

No comments:

Post a Comment