Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Spending Time Playing

Lately I'm feeling some mommy guilt. I've been so consumed with everything that has been going on in our lives that I feel like I haven't been spending enough time with the girls playing. I feel like when we are home I am always trying to get them to clean up or sit still or eat dinner. When we are out of the house I expect them to behave and act like little ladies. Then I came across this graphic this morning and when I saw it it hit me hard.
Lately I've been having unrealistic expectations of my kids. I need to remember that they were built to play. I need to remember that this stage in my life my most important job is being a mom. I need to remember all my other "jobs" are not the primary one. That God should come first, my husband second and my kids third. Everything else can wait.
In today's Proverbs 31 devotional it talks about Genesis 25 when Esau traded his birth right to Jacob for a bowl of stew. It talks about how some trades are good while others suck. What trades am I going to make today? I am going to trade my time to read this afternoon for a snuggle nap with the baby. I'm going to trade playing video games tonight and instead spend time with my husband. Instead of doing laundry before and after dinner I am going to spend time playing with my kids.
I also need to remember that I'm not someone else. My kids were made for me. They are different than someone else's kids. They each are different from one another. What works for one of them doesn't work for the other. I also need to remember my challenges and skill set is different from another mom. I'm made to handle what I have while another mom has a different purpose.

I also keep thinking of the course of this song:

It says:
"Love like I'm not scared Give when it's not fair Live life for another Take time for a brother Fight for the weak ones Speak out for freedom Find faith in the battle Stand tall but above it all Fix my eyes on You On You"

I am going to let these words soak in today. I want to fight for my kids. I want to show them my love. I want to show them what it is like to give to others. I also want to show them how to fix their eyes on God. I also want to show them that they are more important then me. I want them to know they are always loved and that I am here for them. That nothing else but God and daddy are more important then them.
I hope everyone has a blessed day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment