Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Chili Recipe


A few people asked me about my chili recipe. I make a pretty basic recipe. I don't add a lot  of extras and usually use what I have in my pantry. The kids love it. They each ate two helpings yesterday. It is a great meal for a cold winter's day.

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef, chicken or turkey
2 sweet peppers ( I use whatever color I have on hand. Yesterday I used a yellow and a green)
2 medium onions
6 14.5 ounces can organic diced tomatoes (Make sure they have no salt added)
2 16 ounces cans kidney beans (rinsed and drained. Again make sure they have no salt added)
2 16 ounces cans chili beans ( I used wegmans organic kind as they have no added sugar or salt. Do not rinse or drain)
5 cloves garlic
Chili powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or more if you like spicy

Directions:
1. Place onions, garlic and peppers into the bottom of a large stock pot.
2. Caramelize for about 10 minutes. The onions should be translucent
3. Add the ground meat, paprika, cumin and Italian seasoning.  Cover the meat with chili powder.
4. Brown the meat while mixing with the vegetables already in the pot.
5. Depending on the meat you use you may need to drain. I didn't have to as I use extra lean ground beef.
6. Cover the meat again with chili powder
7. Add tomatoes and beans.
8. Bring to a boil.
9.  Turn down the pot to simmer and cover.
10. Simmer for at least three hours.

I sometimes serve this with whole wheat tortillas or dumplings.

For the dumplings:
Ingredients:
 1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
 1/4 t sea salt
 3/4 t baking soda
 3/4 C milk

Directions:
  1. Bring chili to a boil
  2. Mix all dry ingredients
  3. Add milk and mix thoroughly
  4. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the chili
  5. Cook ten minutes covered
  6. Flip the dumplings with a spoon
  7. Cook ten minutes uncovered.

For the whole wheat tortilla recipe check out my blog post here.

If I need an extra blue container (21 Day Fix) for the day I may add cheese to this.

If you are on the 21 Day Fix eating plan one serving is 2 1/4 cups and will cover one red, one green and one yellow. If you add the tortilla or dumplings you'll be using another yellow. If you add the cheese then you use a blue.

I hope you enjoy this as much as our family did. Hope you have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment