Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Worn Song and Thanks

It is so funny how a song can transport you back to a time in your life. Sometimes these songs take up back to a time in your life when you were happy. For example every time I hear God Bless the Broken Road I think of our wedding. Other songs may remind of us certain experiences. For example every time I hear It Won't Be Like This For Long I think of the day we drove A home from the hospital during the G20 summit in Pittsburgh. The town and the veteran's bridge were eerily quiet and I remember crying as I didn’t want that moment to end. Yet others may remind us of sad memories. For example every time I hear anything by the Dave Matthews band I think about how hurtful and vindictive I was in college. But today I want to talk about another song and provide some encouragement to my fellow moms out there.

You see here is the song:


 

Every time I hear this song it transports me to the winter of 2011 and 2012. We had just moved to Erie in October. I had no friends, no close family, a 2 year old, and premie twins who were supposed to be kept inside as it was RSV season. I remember feeling so hopeless. Every time I heard this song I felt it was speaking right to me. The line that says "Let me see redemption win. Let me see the struggle end" I kept thinking when the heck will this struggle end.
Christmas 2011

I remembering feeling so alone yet so blessed. I had three little girls to take care of. I had a husband who loved me and supported me every day. I always had people on me. I was always breastfeeding the twins or reading a books as A sat on my lap. I never really understood why I felt so alone.

I remember first picking up a book called "A Confident Heart". While reading this bible study I drew closer and closer to God. I realized I was alone because I wasn't drawing near to him. That he gave me this season of life to get closer to him.

Then I started to actually venture out of my house. I needed friends. I needed  a community. YOU CANNOT RAISE KIDS ALONE! I believe this in my heart of hearts. God made us moms for relationships and community. You cannot isolate yourself. You need some trusted friends in your life.

I thank people like Tina at Chik Fil A who helped A do crafts while I breast fed her sisters. I thank Mary Kay at the Children's Museum who would take one of the twins into her office to hold for a nap so I could spend some time with just A. I thank our Physical Therapist Kelly who came to my house every Friday and spoke life giving words into me. I thank Tammy at the zoo for always including the twins in A's class experience.

These ladies took time to invest in a mom they didn't know. They gave me hope that winter when I needed it most and when I felt hopeless. They showed God's love where I least expected it.

During the chorus of worn it says:

"I want to know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
Yes all that's dead inside will be reborn
Though I'm worn
Yeah I'm worn"

And you know what by that summer I saw my life completely transformed. I saw that when I focused my eyes on God he gave me exactly what I needed him first and then a community of great women to help me in this crazy journey called motherhood. I felt like I was alive again all thanks to a few great encouragers. Thanks to those women who touched my life when I needed it most. I hope I can use their example to help others that need it today. Who needs some encouragement today? Who has a prayer request? Leave me a comment and know that I am here for you just like my friends were there for me. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment