Monday, February 2, 2015

Sausage Spinach Soup Recipe

 I have been absolutely obsessed with my crock pot lately. I love how easy it is to throw everything in it, turn it on and walk away. Then come back in a few hours later and have a delicious nutritious meal to feed my family. I love leaving and then coming home to the smell of a home cooked meal. This was a new creation for me. I really was hungry for sausage and spinach turnovers but didn't want to ruin my clean eating with all the dough and cheese required to make them so I decided to make something up.

 Ingredients:
2 lbs. sausage
1 bunch leeks (about 3 good sized)
1 family pack peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cloves garlic
2 small packages sliced mushroom
2 frozen bags of spinach (you could probably substitute kale here but I didn't have any in the fridge)
4 -8 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp. Poultry seasoning

Directions:
1. Brown sausage in a medium sauce pan with garlic and spices
2. Add leeks and mushrooms to the sausage and cook until leeks are translucent and mushrooms are cooked down
3. Put this mixture into the crock pot.
4. Add the frozen spinach and butternut squash.
5.  Add the chicken broth. Put enough to cover everything you have in the crock pot.
6. Cook 4-6 hours on low.
7. Enjoy!
This made enough that we had it for dinner one night and then I froze the rest for when the baby comes. I'm excited to defrost the leftovers and have it again. Hope everyone has a blessed day.

1 comment: