Friday, October 17, 2014

Apple Broccoli Slaw

One of my favorite parts about fall is picking apples. I love heading to the apple farm and picking. We went a few weeks ago and ended up picking 52 pounds of apples. 
You may wonder what we did with all those apples. I made three batches of crockpot applesauce. I simply filled the crockpot up with diced apples, added some cinnamon and nutmeg, and a cup of water and then cooked for 6 hours on low. Then I put it in containers to freeze in the deep freezer. I love being able to pull this out in the middle of winter.

I also made an apple pie for A's fifth birthday. She didn't want cake. She wanted that instead. I made two batches of apple bread. We also made a batch of apple pie ice cream.

But one of the favorite things I made with all the apples is an Apple Broccoli Slaw. It is yummy as it has tartness from the vinegar, sweetness from the apples, and crispness from both the apples and slaw.
Apple Broccoli Slaw Recipe
Ingredients:
2 10 ounces bags Broccoli Slaw mix
2 medium Apples Diced finely
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 Tbsp. Spicy Brown Mustard
1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt

Directions:
1. Mix vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Mix broccoli slaw bags with apples.
3. Add mixture from step one to mixture in step 2. Stir until thoroughly coated.
4. Refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving.

For those that are on the 21 Day Fix 1 cup of this counts for approximately 1 green, 1/4 purple, and 1 orange.

I made this three times and each time the girls eat it all gone. Hope you have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment