Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Reading Books

I often get asked how I can read so many books in the course of a year. Most people cannot believe I can read at least four books a month with three children under 5 in the house. Two of these are usually bible studies. The other two are usually personal development. I also usually read one fun book a month. Then I have my devotional readings that I do each morning. So how do I do it?

I make my devotional time a priority each morning. This may mean getting up 15-30 minutes earlier. It may mean that I read my devotionals out loud to the girls because they got up early. It may mean that at nap time I spend the first part of it with God before I work on my business stuff or work out. I may mean that I do it with my husband in the evening and we discuss and pray together. This is my one nonnegotiable in a day. I will spend time with God. It is usually first thing in the morning but let's face it life can be unpredictable and sometimes I have to put it in a different spot in my day.

My second thing I do is my personal development. I want to be the best I can be for both my family and my challengers of my Beachbody business. Most books have on average 12 chapters. I make it a priority to read one chapter  a day. Sometimes I break the chapter into sections and read one section in the morning while the girls are still sleeping and after my devotional. A second section in the afternoon while they are napping. A third section while I'm waiting for dinner to cook. Then finish off the chapter after I get the girls in bed. Others times I read the entire chapter in one sitting. Again I tailor this to my day depending on what the girls moods are like and what else I have planned for the day.

I also use this same formula for my bible study books. I just try to read when I can and make it a priority to finish a chapter a day. This means in a month I can finish two personal development books and two bible studies. I sometimes don't get to the bible study book and that's ok. I have a built in cushion as most books are only 12 chapters and there are usually 30 days in a month. This gives me 6 extra days to play with.

Lastly are my fun books. These only come out when everything else on my to do list is done. These usually come out at about 9:30 when all my work is done, the girls are completely asleep and I finished all my other reading I wanted to get done for the day. This is my way to unwind before bed. This is my rest. Someday I don’t get to my fun book at all. Other days I read 30 minutes. Yet others I read two pages and fall asleep on the couch. The blessing of these books are that they are purely there for relaxation and recreation so it doesn't matter how much I read or how long it takes me to read.

I hope these ideas inspire some of you to read more. I'm always looking for new personal development books and bible studies to read. So leave me a comment and let me know what you are reading right now or any good books that you think I should read. Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment