Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Finding Time to Workout

Everyone who follows me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/simpkinskl) Knows that my life is crazy most days. Between having four little girls (5, 3, 3, and 7 weeks), being co-coordinator for our MOPS group, running Mommy Connection, Bible Study and much more some days seem like a race. I feel like I don't know whether I am coming or going. I also feel like I am running from one thing to the next and when will I find some time for myself.

So how do I find time to workout? For any new mom out there I know you are thinking workout? I'm so exhausted why would I want to workout? You are telling me you workout after only getting 2-4 hours a sleep each night? I feel like I cannot even put the baby down five minutes. How do you expect me to get 30 minutes to workout?
My first thing I want to say is that we will make time for anything we value. I don't find the time to exercise. It isn't something that I just "fit" into my day. I make it a priority. I don't have it scheduled for a specific time of the day but know there are three windows of time I can get it done.

The first is I could wake up early and get it done before everyone wakes up. Currently this isn't an option. We already wake up at 5:30 and the baby is up at 4:30 to eat. This means I'd be getting up before her 4:30 feeding. This is just too little sleep for me to function. For some this option may be best especially if you don't have older kids that wake up between 6 and 6:30 and can fit it in before the baby needs fed again.

My second option is during nap time. All four of my kids nap. The usually go down for nap at 2 and nap until 5. This is my favorite and preferred workout time. I am limber and awake. I sometimes start to feel the midafternoon tired but the workout gives me energy to continue with my day.

My third option is after we get everyone in bed. This is less optimal for me as it is too close to bed time. With getting up so early I go to bed early. This may be an option for some.

A 30 minutes workout is only 4% of your day. What other ways can we get it in?

One thing I do is communicate with my husband about working out. For example today he is teaching a lab until 4. The hope is he'll be home in enough time to workout before the girls wake up from nap. If not he will hold the baby while I workout and I'll take care of the baby while he works out. We will work together to get it done.

Kids are creatures of routine. They don't need a strict schedule but like to know what is coming next. In our household they know that while they nap we workout. If they wake up and we are still working out they usually will jump in with us or they will play with the baby while we finish.

One of my other tips is that sometimes to workout other things need to go by the way side. For example my house may be dirty or the dishes may be pilled up in the sink. I need to keep myself healthy for everyone else to be happy. I need to do this for myself so that I don't get sick and then cannot do anything. I know it will get better. The baby will sleep more at night. I'll be able to switch back to getting more done in the early morning before everyone wakes up. This is only a season.

My last tip is to surround yourself with support. If you really want to workout surround yourself with others who love to workout. Join one of my accountability groups (Application can be found here). These accountability groups will be with like minded people. They will allow you to share you successes and struggles, learn how others fit everything in, and teach you all you need to know about your particular program.

I hope these tips help you workout. Remember we should not feel guilty for wanting to do something for ourselves. I hope everyone has a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment