Saturday, March 7, 2015

Personal Development Books

I've been asked a few times which book I recommend for Personal Development and why I like them. I'm always talking to new coaches and challengers and they always ask why I have the confidence that I do. I also like to continue to further my own growth as I'm going to be the coordinator of our local MOPS this year. I always want to grow and be the best leader I can be for those that serve with me.

If you want others to follow you you need to be a good leader. To help you become a great leader here are some suggestions of books to read. These will help you find out how you lead and explore the personalities of those you lead to best make those you lead follow you. Jesus came to serve not to be served and we ware supposed to follow this model and serve others. As a leader we aren't here for everyone to look up to us and cater to us we are there to serve them and help them become better.

Here are my top choices in no particular order:

1. Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

This is my favorite book. It talks a lot about how by making one kittle change in our lives we can start to effect someone else and then eventually that person will effect someone else and before we know it our one little change has effected a whole bunch of other people. It shows how some relatively small changes can help you in all areas of your life. That one decision can make a huge difference in the end. It talks about how one small decision can get you momentum to become bigger. IT also talks about you have to be constantly changing. Things that work today won't work tomorrow.

2. Go Pro by Eric Worre


This book is a must if you are a Beach body coach. It talks about how to interact with potential customers. It tells you how to convert them into true customers and then potential coaches for you. Then it talks about how to get those under you started out right. It also talks about how you won't become a success over night. Anything that is great in life is worth waiting for. It will take time to see your successes. Just keep going.

3. The Top Ten Leadership Commandments by Hans Finzel

My favorite part about this book is the fact that the author talks about both his successes and failures. He talks about how he learned from his failures and turned his weaknesses into strengths. This book takes you through ten leadership principles that lead you through the life of Moses. It is a great book for all leaders. It takes you through how you need to have a vision for your leadership before you begin. It also talks about how you are here to serve others but also need to have a life. It gives you tips on how to check your ego and keep your eyes on the prize. This book radically changed the way I lead others.

4. Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy


This book gives you 21 tips to get more down. The basic principle of this book is that you should do your hardest task of the day first and get it out of the way. Don't procrastinate and just do it. The more you think about it the longer it will take you to complete it. We all feel like we don't have enough hours in the day to accomplish everything we want to accomplish and this book gives you practical advice on how to get more done or at least prioritize and get the stuff done that is most important.

5. Leads Like Jesus by Ken Blanchard and Phil Hodges

This book takes you through the life of Jesus and uses biblical principles to show you how to be a servant leader. It takes you how to lead with your head, hands and heart. It teaches you what habits you need to have to become a leader. It has many practical examples. It talks about how to influence and encourage others.

6. Jesus Hearted Woman by Jodi Detrick

I found this book by accident. I was on the MOPS website looking for something else and I saw a review of this book and knew I had to read it. I wasn't sorry that I did. This book goes through 10 qualities of a leader. This book is great in teaching you how to deal with both internal and external problems that you will face in your leadership. My favorite part about this book is the fact that it feels like you are having a conversation with the author. Her humor and readability make this book a quick read.

7. On Becoming a Leader by Warren Bennis
This is probably my go to leadership book. I love how in the beginning he talks about how any leadership journey will have challenges but also talks about how to overcome them. This book is very personable and gives you a clear "how to" to becoming a leader. As my life evolves I find myself reading this book over and over again and gaining new wisdom.  
8. Good to Great by Jim Collins
My favorite part about this book is about how it talks about getting the right people in your organization and then worrying about getting them in the right roles. It gives great examples of how companies have taken themselves from no names and made themselves into household names. It gives you clear tasks to get yourself a good team and become a success.

9. Developing the Leader Within You by John Maxwell
This book talks about the different types of leaders. Some of us are born leaders while other must learn to be a leader. It talks about how a leader has influence and how to use that influence. I love the chapter on establishing priorities. I love how it breaks them down into the things only you can do and letting other handle the things that you cannot do or you are ill suited for. I like how it discusses what to say yes to and what to say no to. I also love how it discusses change.

10. Axiom: Powerful Leadership Principles by Bill Hybels
Most of the principles in this book are from a ministry perspective but can be used in any walk of life. This has so many relevant and practical examples. I love how you read this book it helps you nail down the reasons you lead. I love how there are 76 short chapters too. I read one each day like a devotional.

As you can see each book gives you a different perspective on how to become a great leader. I hope this review helps you choose a book to read to help you become a better leader. Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment