Thursday, June 12, 2014

How Life has Changed since we Moved

In October of 2011 Brian's job brought us to Erie. I remember moving up at the beginning of RSV season with premies. For those who have never heard of RSV it is a respiratory disease that can send premies back to the NICU. I was told that I wasn't allowed to take the girls to any setting with a lot of people. Examples we were given we churches, grocery shopping, and places with lots of kids.
B and C the year we moved in
 
A was 2 at the time. I knew we'd go stir crazy if I stayed inside all the time. I tried to limit our exposure to the outside world, but still needed to get our of my house to meet others. It wasn't like I could pick up the phone and call my friends to come to our place as they were all 90 minutes to 2 hours away. I went to places like the Children's Museum and Zoo Classes. I always called before I went to make sure there weren't any field trips.

At the end of the winter I was miserable. I was so lonely. I didn't have any friends. I remember Brian had a dinner for work that I was invited to and I had no one to even ask about babysitter recommendations. We used the girl across the street as she looked to be about the right age and it was a horrible flop. I really wanted a friend.

That summer was fun with the girls turning one and us going to the beach, but I was lonely.
A, B, and C dressed up for B & C's 1st birthday
I still hadn't made any lasting connections.

In September I joined Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS). I remember that this became a turning point for me. I started to meet like minded women in my area. I finally had someone I could pick up the phone to ask someone a question or get help. I finally had a place to ask advice like where is the best place to go pick pumpkins.

Oct 2012 at the pumpkin farm
 
By last summer I finally felt like I was making friends and I had a select few I could trust. I had people I could invite to the beach with us. If could hop on the MOPS Facebook page and let others know we were going to the park or to other events.
Out picking blueberries summer 2013
 
Fast forward to this summer. God has blessed us so much. My MOPs table from this year was incredible. I'm lucky to have these ladies as friends. I'm also lucky to have a few friends with older kids that will be graduating this year but have poured into my life and will remain life long friends. I have a feeling the summer of 2014 is going to be epic.
me with C, B, and A last week
 
I hope everyone has friends like the ones I've made in their home town. Have a great day everyone. I'm praying for you.


2 comments:

  1. Kara, I love seeing these pictures! I miss our play dates but I'm so glad you have found some great friends. Great blog, I love seeing your updates. Enjoy your summer, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also miss our play dates. Abby asks often how L and J are doing. Hope you have a great summer too.

      Delete