Thursday, June 19, 2014

Reflections on God the Father

My ultimate father is my heavenly father. I haven't known my heavenly father for a long time. I'm so lucky my friend Loni never gave up on me and kept trying to show me more about my heavenly father. What I don't have in an earthly father God will always make up for.

God our father wants a relationship with you. He wants you to talk to him and when you spend time with him and in his word everyday he will talk back to you. He will guide your life and your life will be more rich than you ever imagined. The more I give time I give to God the more my life is blessed. When I follow his will for my life I am blessed so much I feel like I am going to burst.

God is love. God loves you no matter what. You don't have to do anything for his love. He just loves you. You don’t need to be perfect. He just loves us. This is the hardest one for me to grasp. I had no clue what unconditional love was like. I always had to perform to feel loved so this was completely new to me when Brian and I got married and then to think God love me like that but even more as incomprehensible to me. Now I now that love.

God is perfect. This is another hard concept for me as nothing in this world is perfect. People will always let you down. You think you know someone but they will turn around and stab you in the back. You think you know someone and then they turn petty and try to hurt you. God isn't like this. He is perfect. He will never hurt you. I didn't say that he won't discipline you. Remember God is also love and sometimes the ones we love need discipline to learn their lesson.

Right along with this goes god is faithful. God will always be there no matter what. No matter how many times we turn from him when we turn back to him he will be there. When we sin we can confess our sins to him and he will forgive us. He said in the bible that they way to him is through Jesus. That if we believe in Jesus we will have eternal life. He will be faithful in this. Do you believe in Jesus?

God is merciful. Again God doesn't save us because he has to. In Titus 3:5 Paul tells us God saves us because he is merciful. That God sent Jesus to die on a cross for us because he is merciful. He wanted us to have a way to him.

God is also patient. He is the most patient person. Can you imagine allowing you kids to make the same mistakes over and over again and just by saying "I'm sorry" you forgive them and move on? I know I get exasperated every time my kids make the same mistake. I finally yell or scream or get angry. God doesn't he just keeps turning the other cheek and let us hit him again. He lets us keep driving nails into Jesus as he hangs on the cross. And when we are ready to come back to him we ask for forgiveness.  The best part about that forgiveness is that he forgets all about our transgressions.

God has many other attributes.  Have you ever studied the attributes of God? It is a really great way to get to know who God is and start to really form a relationship with him. If you never have why don’t you start today and study the attributes of God. You won't be sorry you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment