Monday, June 2, 2014

Scriptures for the year

A friend had challenged me at the beginning of the year to choose scriptures for the year. I've been praying these over my marriage, my family, and myself for the year so far. It ha been such a great exercise. It has given me something to focus on and I can see the fruits of my labor by asking God for these things using his word.

The first thing I picked was my word for the year. If you've never done this purchase the book "My One Word". It goes through step by step and explains how to pick your word and then a scripture to go with it.

My one word for the year is finish. You may ask why finish. I feel like I have a million projects started and none of them are finished. This year I vow to finish everything I start. I also have a habit of starting something at 110% but somewhere along the way I get disheartened and then don't give it 110% all I my give it 95%. This year I vow to give my 110% until the day end on every activity.

The scripture I choose to go with it is:
This is because I know God has some great plans for me and he will continue to work in me as long as I am willing to keep the lines of communication with him open. If he is willing to keep pouring into me all of my days then I want to pour into others and finish what I started for his glory.

The second scripture I choose was my life verse for this season of life. It is:
I choose this one because I can sometimes be a worrier. I play the "what if" game. With two premies living in our household I'm constantly wondering are they gaining enough weight? Are they hitting their milestones correctly? I worry about am I pleasing my husband? Am I being the bets mother I can be? Will I fail at x? But I realized if I give these cares to God each morning I can live in peace and freedom and be the best person I can be. The one He made me to be.

My next verse is for A. She is my spunky first born with the heart of gold. She likes to ask everyone their name as we walk through any public place. Sometimes she'll ask you your age or where you live. Here is her verse:
I want God to pour into her. I didn't have the best role model and I really had no clue of how to be a mom. I'm trying to figure this out as I go. I love how this verse asks God to give her wisdom and understanding. I want her to know God and trust God will always love her.
B is my diva. She is the typically middle child. When she doesn't get her way everyone knows it. She is the most likely to push or shove when she doesn't get her way. She loves cuddles and being held on walks. Her verse for the year is:
I want her to know God better. I want her to know God loves her and what her eternal goal is.

C is my youngest. She is B's twin. She is quiet and reflective. We know she'll be an engineer. She is constantly taking things apart to see how they work. She also loves cuddles, but is very independent. She can sit somewhere for 30 minutes and play and you'd never know she was there. For her I choose the verse:
I choose this verse for her because nothing comes easy for her. I took what seemed like forever for her to crawl, then walk, then run. Now we are in the phase where she gets speech therapy every week to help her articulate. I want her to remember that none of these obstacles matter that the Lord is her strength and He will help her through them.

The next is my parenting verse. I really wanted it to focus on the fact that I wanted God to be the center of our household. Here is the verse I choose:

Lastly I choose my marriage verse. Our marriage is so strong as God is at the center of it. We have learned a lot over the last eight years of marriage. We also are both better people since we have given our lives to Christ. My marriage verse is:
If you know our past you understand why this verse is so important. I don't want to be ignorant any more. I want to do everything I do for the glory of the Lord.

I want to thank my friend Kristi for giving me this assignment. It has helped me grow so much the last six months and I look forward to continuing to pray these scriptures the next six months this year. Want to join me? Pick you scriptures today!

No comments:

Post a Comment