Monday, June 9, 2014

Negative Self Talk

Have you ever said to yourself "I've always been fat. I cannot be skinny." Or maybe you've said "I'm not smart enough to do that." Or maybe you've told your husband "I'm a terrible mother." Maybe you've said to a coworker "I'll never be good at that they should just let me go."

Do you realize that our most powerful ally is our mind? That if you are constantly thinking negative thoughts you will feel bad, but if you think positively you'll feel good?
The mind is very powerful. The bible says A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength Proverbs 17:22.
 
Do you have a cheerful heart? Or are you always negative. Do people want to be around you? Or are you the person that people sigh when you come into a room because they know you'll try to suck all the positive energy our of them?
 
I like to think of myself as a positive person. I love to build up other people. I love to help where needed. But even I sometimes struggle with negative thinking. Mine usually centers around "I can eat that one bite and it won't hurt me." But guess what it does. A lot of time that one bite leads to two which then can lead to a whole bunch of bites.
 
After 63 days of my fitness journey I can actually say that this isn't happening as often as it used to. We consume what we crave. 

If you are always thinking about chocolate you'll consume chocolate. I found that drinking Shakeology everyday has really helped me with this area. It is like a milkshake and the chocolate satisfies my chocolate craving. The vanilla taste so smooth and creamy that it reminds me of ice cream. The strawberry reminds me of being on a beach somewhere. The greeenberry reminds me of the green tea shops in China. They each completely transform my mind to some positive memory and allow me to remain positive through the day as I'm not hungry or craving foods.
 
Also eating the many meals a day and a variety of healthy foods has made it much easier to stay away from those "bad" foods that I used to eat all the time.  Eating every 3 hours allows me to keep my blood sugar up. Do you get angry around 10AM? Are you tired around 3PM? It is probably because your blood sugar is crashing and you need a pick me up. Instead of hitting the coffee think about spreading out your meals to keep the blood sugar level even throughout the day.

Therefore if you want positive results in any area of your life you need to replace you negative thoughts and habits with positive ones. Remember the bible tells us "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8

Let's choose one negative habit you will replace with a positive one today. Share in the comments section what negative habit you hope to break in the next 30 days. Have a happy Monday everyone.

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent reminder, Kara. I do tend to gravitate toward cheerful people, and I'm certain that gets me through many days that would otherwise be stressful. A joyful heart really IS good medicine!

    I have a lot of negative habits I'd like to break, but I suppose the most pressing one right now is feeling ill-equipped to do my job. Each week, God has shown me that it's not my strength that's needed; it's His. And yet, I fall back into the habit of thinking I'm incapable of doing the job well. He's been so faithful to provide what I need when I need it, I'm not sure why I ever doubt, but there you go. Human nature, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, I think many of us struggle with this negative habit. I read a devotional this morning about being a parent and how it is one of the easiest jobs to think that we are in control instead of God is in control as we can easily forget our children are a gift from God. God is so faithful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete