Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Importance of water

Many people don't realize the importance of water. Many people take water for granted. Also many people don't realize how much water we have to drink in a day.

Why do we need water?
Do you know that up to 70% of your body is water? We need water for a variety of functions including those listed in the picture above. Headaches, poor concentration, fatigue, constipation and dry skin can all be indicators that you haven't drank enough water. Also being hungry can actually be your body telling you you are thirsty.
 
Water helps you regulate your body temperature and can help you from overheating during a workout. It also moistens the oxygen we breath so that we can breath better. Both of these can allow you to exercise longer and harder.
 
How much water?
 
Most agree you should drink half you body weight in ounces. This means if you weighed 150 pounds you should drink 75 ounces a day. At first this may seem like a lot of water. My current water bottle is this:
It holds 25 ounces. That means I only need to drink three of these to get my water in for the day. I drink way more than that though.

When to drink water?
I drink water all day. Some people ask for strategies. My first strategy is to get a gallon container and fill it in the morning. Put times on the side and then use it to make sure you are drinking enough and often throughout the day:
My second strategy is for those who don't like plain water. Try adding some lemon juice to it. Add cucumber slices to it the night before and let it sit over night. Other things you can add are mint leaves, strawberries, raspberries, lime wedges, kiwi slices, ginger, or watermelon cubes. All will infuse the water with flavor and make those who don't like the taste of water able to easily drink up their water.
My third strategy is find a water bottle that works for you. Why do I love my water bottle above? It has a wide mouth on it and the water doesn't stay cold for too long. I know I'm weird I like my water a little warm. Some may like it extra cold so buy a insulated one. Some like to have a straw. My biggest suggestion is to try different ones until you find one you like. The water bottle will become an essential piece of your workout equipment so make sure you choose wisely.

I hope that this helps you see why you need to drink you water everyday. I also hope it gives you some strategies to get your water in if you are one of those people who don't like water. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment