Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ice Cream Play Dough

So today I had two separate friends post about a sensory play activity involving creating ice cream play dough. The first used premade frosting and powder sugar and can be found here
The second used hair conditioner and corn starch and can be found here.

Since I had all the ingredients on hand to make both I decided to try both with A, B, and C. The play dough made out of the frosting and powdered sugar was definitely more messy than the one made with the conditioner. I also felt like the one made with the conditioner held up better to play than the other. If I had cones the conditioner and corn starch would have looked more like ice cream where the other was a little more runny.
Conditioner and Cornstarch
Powdered sugar and frosting

I had some large cups from the dollar store along with some dollar store utensils. I also had some extra sprinkles and stale marshmallows that I had been saving for an activity like this.
Just starting to explore and loving the sprinkles


Watch me mommy.

Stirring in the marshmallows

C is enjoying eating the stale marshmallows and has "some" sprinkles with her "ice cream" 

Still having a great time enjoying it
 
I would definitely do this again. They spent about two hours transferring the "ice cream" from one container to another, adding more marshmallows, pretending to "bake" ice cream cakes etc.. In the end I just hosed their hands and feet off and we went on to playing the next game. For anyone's kids who love to get messy this was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment