Thursday, May 15, 2014

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

So with this past weekend being Mother's Day I've been doing a lot of reflection. On Sunday I sent some time reading two books "Confessions of a Prayer Slacker" and "Lead Like Jesus". In both books I read the exact same thing. We are called to pray as Christians so that we know who God is and what his will for us is.

I also read that one way to do this is to uses the ACTS acronym:
Adoration -- give God the praise he deserves
Confession -- confess my sins and ask forgiveness
Thanksgiving -- count my blessings and thank God for all he has given us today
Supplication -- my requests

After reading both of these books on Sunday I realized I want to pray more. I feel like lately my prayer life has become rather stale. I feel like we pray before reading our devotionals, before meals, and at bed time but they are all very predictable as we say the same prayers each time.

 I also know I'm sending up the same quick prayers through the day..."God please help me to not yell as the whining has my temper short." "God please help me to respond correctly in this situation and not let my temper get the best of me." "God right now I don't like this person please help me to build them up and not tear them down." "God Brian isn't home from work yet and I really need a break can you get him home now." Can any of you relate to this?

I've always known prayer was important but reading these two books has really started to open my eyes to just how important it is. It has really made me want to invigorate my prayer life. I'd love to be able to sit quietly with the lord for some time each day. I'd love to memorize more scripture and complete more bible studies.

So today I am going to try and do just that. I want to become a great prayer warrior. I want you to know that when I say I'm praying for you you know I follow through and do it. I want to know God like never before.


My goal is to spend 10 minutes quietly in front of the Lord each day. No distractions. No cell phones, no computers. No kids.  I also want to memorize one scripture a week. Thirdly, I'd like to continue reading through the bible in a year. Lastly, I'd like to finish one bible study book a month.

Who would like to join this challenge with me? Write "I'm in" in the comments section and let's hold each other accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment