Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Reflection from the Past

On Monday I had the privilege of watching A help our neighbors plant flowers.


As I stood there and watched A help them I couldn't help but thinking about where I got my love of gardening from. I had two neighbors that each loved gardening but in different forms. The first loved the fancy gardens all around their house. I would spend time helping him weed and plant all kinds of plants and bushes. I'd help him prune the dead flowers, shape bushes, edge the garden, and mulch. The second loved vegetable gardening. I'd help him till the garden, plant seeds in the late spring and then help him tend to it all summer. Then get special little treats like fresh tomatoes out of it.

Both of these men had kids of their own but their own kids were not living at home any more. Their own kids still didn't have any grandkids. I think about the time they sent with me teaching me all these tricks and proper ways to care for these two different types of gardens. I loved every moment with these two men. They were like grandfathers to me.

I'm know glad that A, B, and C get to experience a similar situation. Our neighbor Dave has kids but doesn't have grandkids yet. He lives with his mom who has Alzheimer's and is rapidly deteriorating. He moved from DC to Erie to take care of his mom. We are lucky to have them next door. They don't see the girls as a nuisance but instead help peek their natural curiosity. I thank God for neighbors like them every day.

And my gardening bug...well I don't like fancy gardens. I hate to weed. But vegetable gardening I love. We planted our seeds inside our house about six weeks ago and they are all growing well. I hope to get them in the ground this week. Pictures to come.

I hope each one of my readers has someone that is older and wiser that can pour into their kids like we do. Having loving neighbors shows my kids God's love. Thanks to all those great neighbors in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment