Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day and Expectations

As I was reading my current small group study book "Love and Respect" by Emerson and thinking about Mother's Day I got to thinking about expectations. Sometimes as moms we have some many unspoken expectations that when they don't happen we get disappointed.

Has this happened to you? It's Mother's Day. It is 6 AM and your kid(s) are awake. Your husband is snoring next to you. You get up to take care of the kids.  You get up make them breakfast. Play with them for a few hours and then your husband wakes up at 9 AM and says to you "why are you out of bed? You should be in bed asleep." You might be angry. You might want to fight back. Some may quip back "I tried to wake you but you were you were snoring so I just did it all myself". Others may say "Oh I was awake and didn't mind coming down at all" but inside they are seething. Others may just give their spouse the silent treatment.

What caused this? Probably unrealistic expectations. Guess what girls our men cannot read our minds. Do you want to sleep in on Mother's Day then tell him so. Want breakfast in bed. Let him know what and when you want it. Want to go to church. Want a special piece of jewelry. Want flower let him know. This way there is no question in his mind what you want and your are not disappointed because your expectation don't match reality.

The "Love and Respect" devotional from 5/6 also got me thinking. It was all about gibing my family the gift of friendliness. Instead of expecting something on Mother's Day what is we just continued to give to our families. Jesus always served those in need. No day was "special" to him. It didn't matter what day it was he still served other.

Remember at one time Jesus was criticized for healing someone on the Sabbath. What was he doing on Passover? Washing the disciples feet. In his three years of ministry he was always serving others. Mom what if we used this as our model? What is we constantly served others? Do you realize our most important mission field is right at home.

You can make the most difference in your home today. Respect your husband. Teach your kids God's word. Put your family before yourself. I think you'll be surprised at the results and what you gain in return.  What is one way you'll serve your family today? Share in the comments section.

I hope all my mom friends have a blessed Mother's Day. We are off to serve in the nursery at church and then back home to do our traditional work in the yard in preparation to plant stuff. I'm excited for another beautiful day with my family. Happy Mother's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment