Monday, May 12, 2014

Is it worth it?

Same days clean eating is easier than others. With this past weekend being Mother's Day I saw many challengers asking themselves the same question. Is this worth it? Some stated that they have felt they made all these changes but the results aren't happening quick enough. Others stated that they feel like their whole life revolves around food; counting calories, wondering if this is on the bad or good list, and preparing and eating food.

Let's go back to the why you are making the changes in the first place. Most people change to clean eating because they want to either lose weight or be healthier or a combination of both. Some may make the switch because of high cholesterol or obesity while others may make the switch to feel better and reduce their risk of certain diseases.

Most will jump right in and completely make all the changes all at once. Some define clean eating as no processed foods. Others may say that as long as it whole food it is okay to eat. While the definition may vary one thing is agreed upon clean eating will promote health.

I had discussed the formation of a habit in another post but basically it takes 30 days for a habit to form. if you do it for 30 days it becomes easier and more natural to you. therefore if you make the clean eating switch do it for 30 days with no break and you'll be surprised at how you look at food.

Also look at why you want certain foods? In Made to Crave the author uses the bible verse Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. 1 Corinthians 10:23 So in other words we can do anything but will it benefit us in the end game.  If I eat this cupcake will it benefit me and help me reach my goals?

When you want a certain food it is always good to ask yourself these questions:
Am I eating because I'm truly hungry or is there an underlying reason?
Am I eating because I am lonely or stressed?
Am I wanting that food because I've denied myself of it and now have made it more of a big deal than it was?
If I eat this how will I feel in an hour? How will I feel tomorrow?

These questions usually allow you to see a pattern of when you are craving a certain food or want to eat. They also allow you to step back and see if the food is a benefit for you. IT will allow us to stop the negative talk in our head and make the positive changes that we set out to make. It also allows us to meet our why.

So today when you ask yourself "Is it Worth It?" say yes. This doesn't mean if you fall off the wagon you should beat yourself up. Pick yourself back up and try again. It will get easier. Also give yourself a cheat meal every once in awhile. It will help with the cravings and make you feel like you've earned something for all the hard work you've been doing.

A few question for you:
For those that have made the clean eating switch when do you find your self hungry? In other words what things trigger you to want to eat?

I hope you enjoyed this posts. As always if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment